Ace tennis player, world no 1, Novak Djokovic has pulled out of the ATP Miami open citing the global travel issues. Djokovic is the third top player who has decided to skip the tournament. Earlier, Grand Slam legends, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal also announced that they’ll not take part in the tournament. The Serbian legend, Djokovic won his 18th Grand Slam singles title and ninth Australian Open singles crown last month. Djokovic is third in the list of most Grand Slams wins behind Roger Federer (20) and Rafael Nadal (20).
“Dear fans, I’m very sorry to announce that this year I won’t travel to Miami to compete,” Djokovic tweeted Friday.
Djokovic said that he wanted to spend some time with the family and with all the travel restrictions, he needs to find a balance between events and family life.
“I decided to use this precious time at home to stay with my family,” he said. “With all restrictions, I need to find balance in my time on tour and at home. I look forward to coming back next year!”
Roger Federer won the 2019 edition of the Miami Open and the 2020 season was cancelled due to the outbreak of the Coronavirus. The defending champion announced that he wanted to work on his fitness, ahead of the other major tournament later this year, and won’t take part in the tournament. Nadal, on the other hand, hasn’t played a game since his defeat to Stefanos Tsistsipas in the quarter-final of the Australian Open. He revealed that he isn’t 100% fit and will need some time off to fully recover.
“Sad to announce that I won’t be playing in Miami, a city that I love,” Nadal tweeted earlier this month. “I need to fully recover and get ready for the clay court season in Europe.”
Nadal will look to win his fifth consecutive French Open title.